Friday, January 23, 2009

Winter Training

Since my last race in October (see below) it has been really tough to get consistent, but I can honestly say that the start of the new year helped me realize that I have certain goals and resolutions that I have to accomplish. One of which is race faster, but more importantly, to continue my fight against cancer in honor of current cancer patients and the people I've lost to this disease.

Anyway, winter training is tough because of all the limitations. More specifically, there is nothing worst than driving and walking through freezing weather only to jump into a pool thats equally as cold. Cycling and running outside is almost a non-option at this point because the only time there is sunlight is while I'm at work and, to add insult to injury, there's ice and snow everywhere waiting for me to take a fall. As a result, cycling and running becomes an indoor activity where I'm left to deal with the weird paradox of training to move forward faster, but not actually making any forward progression while training on a stationary bike or treadmill. With that said, I wonder what crazy part of my mind decided to start this whole "Challenge Me" fundraiser.

It has definitely been a slow start, but I'm extremely excited about the potential the fundraiser has. And if all I get is a $0.01 per mile of training, then to reach my $5,000 fundraising goal, I'll give everything I have to hit the 500,000 mileage mark. In my opinion (and from personal experience), that's a cakewalk compared to the battles cancer patients and their families have to deal with.

So with that said, the cold is the least of my worries...

No comments: